Saturday, June 5, 2010

She Walks in Beauty


The opulence of the Gilded Era. Splendor, beauty, and extravagance. Elaborate dinners, majestic balls, and fancy gowns.


These are the things that are commonplace in Miss Clara Carter’s life. Clara is a young debutante striving to learn the rules of social engagement in a time when appearance was everything. Tasked by her overbearing Aunt and father with catching the eye of the seasons most eligible heir, Clara finds herself trying to maintain her own identity in a world that defined the worth of a woman by her waist size and her ability to entertain. Her every move ends up in the social columns of New York’s best newspapers. However Clara is an intelligent young woman who would much prefer to continue her education and look to find true love. As young girl her mother had sung “Just as I am” to her many times. Is it possible that God could love her just as she is?

This book has all the makings of a great novel. Well-developed characters that are rich and deep. Just enough mystery to keep you wondering. Friendships that are strained by the pressures of high society. Family secrets, trickery and deceit.

This is the first book I have read by Siri Mitchell, but it won’t be the last.

I must mentioned that I did receive a complimentary review copy of this book, however that did not in anyway influence my opinion of it.

1 comment:

  1. I have not read anything by Siri Mitchell but I have wanted to! Your review only confirms my intention...

    ReplyDelete